The Veterinary School of the Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, founded in 1932, has its own premises on the Pampulha Campus since 1984. It currently has two undergraduate courses: Veterinary Medicine and Aquaculture. It also has graduate courses: masters and doctoral courses in Veterinary Science and Animal Science, as well as a residence in Veterinary Medicine.
It has an area of seven hectares and is divided into four departments: Veterinary Clinic and Surgery, Preventative Veterinary Medicine, Technology and Inspection of Products of Animal Origin and Animal Science.
The school is administered through a Board that consults with collegiate committees of the institution, that is, the Congregation, the Departmental Chambers and the undergraduate and graduate collegiates. It also has support structures, such as Registrar’s Office, Stores, Personnel, Purchases, Accounting, Assets, Computer Technology and Maintenance and Cleaning.
The school also has its own communication office and a publishing house, which publishes various materials, including the Technical Journals of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science (Cadernos Técnicos de Veterinária e Zootecnia), and the Brazilian Journal of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science, one of the most important scientific journals in the country.
The Veterinary School has two other sectors: the Veterinary Hospital is located in the school and cares for large and small animals, both clinically and surgically, with competence in high specialization areas, such as dermatology and orthopedics, of pet animals. The Prof. Hélio Barbosa Experimental Farm in the town of Igarapé supports undergraduate and graduate teaching, as well as research and extension activities in areas such as milk cattle, egg-laying and slaughter poultry, quail farming, rabbit farming, animal feed farming, horse and pig farming. The Pedro Leopoldo Farm, in the final phase of transfer, will be the third supplemental sector, an agency for integrating various UFMG units, the community and private initiative, also covering teaching, research and extension activities focused on applying sustainable technologies in the rural environment.
On March 1, 1932, the Undergraduate Veterinary Medicine Course of the Higher Education Agriculture School of the State of Minas Gerais (ESAV) was established in Viçosa and in 1935, it had four graduates. In 1942, still linked to the Higher Education Agriculture School in Viçosa, the course was transferred to Belo Horizonte, with the name Higher Education Veterinary Medicine School, under the Department of Technical Teaching of the Agriculture, Trade and Labor Secretariat of the State of Minas Gerais. In 1948, it became part of the Rural University of the State of Minas Gerais (UREMG), still linked to ESAV. In 1961 it was incorporated into the University of Minas Gerais, today UFMG.
In 1963, the School acquired its first rural property with about 240 hectares in Igarapé, today the Prof. Hélio Barbosa Experimental Farm. In 1968, there were great transformations, with the establishment of the master’s degree course, the first of four veterinary medicine areas, and a year later, in three areas of animal science.
In 1974, the Veterinary School moved to the UFMG Campus at Pampulha, where it is today. Its former building on Amazonas Avenue was sold to the Federal Technical School. Beginning in 1980, a curricular reform brought, among other alterations, the extension of the course from 4 to 5 years.
In 2009, the UFMG's Veterinary School also offered an undergraduate course in Aquaculture, the first in southeast Brazil.